My Experience with Mr. India and Its Successor, Bollywood Tandoor

#NindotKaayo

I could remember back then when Mr. India opened in Gaisano Country Mall before it was closed down and replaced by Rusty's. Back then, I was quite wary of Indian restaurants because of my experience with a restaurant I'll not name but I felt I was five-sixed by it. I remembered learning to drive and going to Gaisano Country Mall to try Mr. India around in 2014. It was a nice cozy place that served affordable Indian food. 

The owner Gulab "Soni" Vasnani was the one to try and challenge the stereotypes. I think one of the best strategies he did was to allow some customization in spicy levels. Some like it spicy and some like it mild. I did try to eat at Little India and had my food ordered mild. Indian food can be too spicy for some such as how the South Indian style restaurants carry theirs. My first picks were chicken curry, vegetable shawarma (which had tofu), Indian bread (especially their paratha), and some of their biryani. It was pretty much a good experience that I actually talked a lot about it. What amused me was that Bollywood Tandoor still had some unused plastics with the Mr. India print which they used for other takeout deliveries. 

Eventually, the time came when Mr. India closed down and Bollywood Tandoor in 113 Governor M. Cuenco Avenue, Cebu City, was open. I think it was around 2016 which led to the closing of Mr. India. I always wondered why Mr. India closed down. I gave a call and realized it was closed. The person on the phone said, "Mr. India is closed--this is Bollywood." Then I went to Bollywood which was a rather fanciful place. That explained why prices were higher--the venue was bigger with more people serving more customers. I went to try a serving of goat curry though my personal favorites were mostly vegetarian. Okra masala, chole batture (chickpeas with bread), and mushroom masala became my favorites. I also tried their falooda which is quite similar to the knickerbocker of Zamboanga. Falooda is apparently of Persian origin and India was occupied by the Persian Empire and later the Mughal Empire.

The environment during the evening can be fanciful or too noisy for my taste. Personally, I prefer to eat there during lunch break over the weekend evenings. The weekends have Indian dancing. I find the whole festive atmosphere on the weekends, not my type to eat dinner in. I usually enjoy the serenity of eating there during noon or a non-weekend evening as a personal preference. Though, I ended up ordering their food on Honest Bee (which isn't available anymore) via Grab and Food Panda even before the pandemic. 

What I could say is that this place is ideal for those into North Indian cuisine. North Indian for me is just the right amount of spiciness in contrast to South Indian cuisine. Though, I've also enjoyed South Indian cuisine. I still recommend this place for those wanting to try spicy Indian food--both meat and vegetable. 

Popular posts from this blog

The "Kahit Konting Awa" Attitude Wouldn't Help Alleviate Anyone from Poverty

The Philippines 60-40 Equity Scheme Doesn't Prohibit FDIs But It's Still VERY DISCOURAGING for International Business

The Irony the Philippines Starts the Christmas Season in September BUT Many Filipinos Love Last-Minute Christmas Shopping

If You Want to Make the Philippines Better, Study... HARDER?

Hussam Middle Eastern Restaurant: A Trip Into Authentic Syrian Cuisine At Ayala Center Cebu

The Philippines will NEVER Get Richer by Blaming Its Richer Asian Neighbors

Can Diehard 1987 Constitution Defenders Prove Their Claims to the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy?

My Experience With Delicious ITealicious' Filling in the Milk Tea Demand in Cebu City

It'd Be Stupid to Continue Using Obsolete Chinese Language Textbooks to Teach Mandarin Chinese

Red Lizard: Wrestling With Your Taste Buds With Delicious Mexican Food