Cherry's the Spice's Hyderabadi Style Cooking from the Heart

Sugbo.PH

I remembered driving across Talamban sometime before the COVID-19 pandemic. One of the restaurants that caught my curiosity was called The Spice or Cherry's the Spice. The letter "i" is shaped like chili to give you this note that the restaurant is targeted towards people who enjoy spicy food. Yet, it has become very popular among Filipino customers. Cherry's the Spice was another one I was curious about but not ready to anticipate the different regions of cooking. It's pretty much cooking in Region V - Bicol Region is different from Region VII - Visayas. This restaurant had a cottage-like feel. This restaurant has won the best Indian restaurant award from Sunstar Cebu
 
TripAdvisor

The type of food here is similar yet different to Bollywood. Bollywood is pretty much North Indian for most of its cuisine. Cherry's the Spice focuses on Hyderabad-style cooking which I compare to the Bicol region. If I'm not wrong, some of its food has fresh coconut milk added to it which is a staple for Indian cooking. Hyderabad is pretty much located in South India and is the capital city of Telangana. Think of Hyderabad as Legazpi City in the Bicol Region. I would say that the food here has a different approach. Mr. Rudy Katkuri Prakash says that they always serve fresh food daily to the customers.

My first impressions weren't so good since I usually enjoy Indian vegetarian food. However, I remembered tasting their chicken dishes was pretty good. I decided to get a chicken puff pastry after I checked out their grocery for available ingredients. I think one reason why a lot of Filipino customers enjoy it there is thanks to some dishes that feel "close to home". Lentil soup may be closer to the Filipino mongo. Seafood dishes using fish and prawns may feel like Bicolano food with garam masala. Tandoor chicken may feel pretty close to lechon manok in a different way. The dessert called payasam may also be a seller because it's very similar to the Filipino binignit. I guess that's why a lot of Filipino customers may have enjoyed it.

I think one of the most important aspects is how Cherry's the Spice accepts requests for adjustments. Pretty much, my first impression wasn't so good because I ordered spicy and my tolerance isn't that good. I usually order regular or non-spicy Indian foods. Requesting non-spicy means getting everything down to a more "Filipino flavor". Their friendliness to offering less spicy Indian food makes it acceptable to Filipino customers who enjoy their food. 

It was also amazing to see how Cherry's the Spice gave relief goods during the ECQ months. Frontliners were given meals by the restaurant as an act of charity. I believe that doing acts like these will encourage more customers to eat. The best way to earn a profit is to think long-term. I was encouraged by their help during the ECQ to give occasional orders via Grab Food after the ECQ months ended. I'm further thinking about maybe dine-in one day there to show my appreciation of their help during the ECQ months. 

The restaurant has managed to open a branch in Lapu Lapu City. I think it's because some people from Lapu Lapu City may have gone over to Cebu City to eat their seafood masala. I may be no fan of seafood masala but it's pretty much ordered by several Filipino customers. They have also opened a branch in Busay too. So far, the restaurant is going strong with all its authentic Indian food that knows how to serve the Filipino populace. 

Popular posts from this blog

The "Kahit Konting Awa" Attitude Wouldn't Help Alleviate Anyone from Poverty

The Philippines 60-40 Equity Scheme Doesn't Prohibit FDIs But It's Still VERY DISCOURAGING for International Business

The Irony the Philippines Starts the Christmas Season in September BUT Many Filipinos Love Last-Minute Christmas Shopping

If You Want to Make the Philippines Better, Study... HARDER?

Hussam Middle Eastern Restaurant: A Trip Into Authentic Syrian Cuisine At Ayala Center Cebu

The Philippines will NEVER Get Richer by Blaming Its Richer Asian Neighbors

Can Diehard 1987 Constitution Defenders Prove Their Claims to the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy?

My Experience With Delicious ITealicious' Filling in the Milk Tea Demand in Cebu City

It'd Be Stupid to Continue Using Obsolete Chinese Language Textbooks to Teach Mandarin Chinese

Red Lizard: Wrestling With Your Taste Buds With Delicious Mexican Food