Trying a Day Trading Simulator Made Me Realize Day Trading is Really GAMBLING, Not Investing


Many times, I really wanted to avoid stocks and later decided to get some financial management help. That's why I bought the AXA Chinese Tychoon Fund which invests primarily in blue chip Filipino-Chinese companies. I remembered my MBA days when I heard about stocks. What I always saw with stocks was pretty much the motions of day trading. I decided to overcome a degree of fear and did some research. 

I decided to try a simulator to try and learn how to trade stocks. The big problem with a day-trading simulator is pretty much deciding on random movements. I did download a few business games on Google Play to try it. I tried the simulator and found out that if I used real money--I could've lost a lot already. The simulated money was USD 10,000.00. Now, I tried to keep my bets and one wrong move meant I could lose all that money. Good thing it wasn't real money.

What truly disturbed me though is how day trading is even encouraged. I ended up landing on the name of Charlie Munger. Munger called it a speculative orgy. I couldn't help but agree. As Warren Buffet says, "If you're not willing to own a stock for ten years, don't think of owning it for ten minutes." The simulator would have the buy-sell-buy-sell position. It's really almost like I'm playing mahjong or poker instead of investing. Yet, people do it because there's a thrill in it. There's more thrill in gambling and investing.

I check my AXA Chinese Tycoon Fund only to discover it's not making the fast millions. I heard some people can make fast millions in day trading. The downside though is pretty much that you could also lose millions so fast as a result. That's why I'd rather invest, and hold a fund maybe for at least five years (and another for ten years) instead of playing mahjong with the stock market. 

References

Websites

"Day Trading Definition: Why It Differs From Investing" by Sam Swenson, CFA, CPA (Updated: June 28, 2022)

Popular posts from this blog

The "Kahit Konting Awa" Attitude Wouldn't Help Alleviate Anyone from Poverty

The Philippines 60-40 Equity Scheme Doesn't Prohibit FDIs But It's Still VERY DISCOURAGING for International Business

The Irony the Philippines Starts the Christmas Season in September BUT Many Filipinos Love Last-Minute Christmas Shopping

If You Want to Make the Philippines Better, Study... HARDER?

Hussam Middle Eastern Restaurant: A Trip Into Authentic Syrian Cuisine At Ayala Center Cebu

The Philippines will NEVER Get Richer by Blaming Its Richer Asian Neighbors

Can Diehard 1987 Constitution Defenders Prove Their Claims to the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy?

My Experience With Delicious ITealicious' Filling in the Milk Tea Demand in Cebu City

It'd Be Stupid to Continue Using Obsolete Chinese Language Textbooks to Teach Mandarin Chinese

Red Lizard: Wrestling With Your Taste Buds With Delicious Mexican Food