I'm Prone to Calling Pinyin "Bopomofo"


I remember being introduced to more of Pinyin in college. It was a Chinese language electorate class for at least one semester. I wished that the course required two consecutive foreign language classes to build the basics even more. The teacher taught us Pinyin with the Bopomofo sequence. Until now, I still prefer to use the Bopomofo sequence because it's more rhythmic and easier to memorize. I don't like the new method which uses the 23 initials-24 finals method (read here). Because of that, I still call Pinyin "Bopomofo" in almost every conversation, even with Chinese language teachers!



One of the things I would say is, "We have a new kind of Bopomofo." The older ones said, "Did the Zhuyin table change?" My answer is. "No, I'm talking about Pinyin." A Chinese language teacher might say, "We don't use Bopomofo. We use Pinyin now. Say Pinyin, not Bopomofo." Yet, I can't resist calling it Bopomofo because Pinyin is basically transliterated Bopomofo. You simply assign a Latin equivalent to each and every symbol of the Zhuyin table to make it more accessible to non-Chinese speakers. It prepares to teach Chinese as a secondary language especially when Chinese schools, in non-Chinese countries, get assimilated.


I expect to sound funny if I'm going to buy a bilingual 華語書/华语书 (Huáyǔ shū) or a modern Chinese language textbook. Chances are I might say, "Do you have a bilingual Chinese book that's also written with the modern Bopomofo?" The saleslady might say, "No, but we have one with Pinyin and English." I might say, "That's exactly what I'm looking for." Since I'm so prone to calling Pinyin "Bopomofo", I can imagine myself in that awkward situation. 

What I'd say is that I guess some things never change. I'm still prone to wanting to have traditional Chinese characters and calling Pinyin "Bopomofo". 

Popular posts from this blog

The "Kahit Konting Awa" Attitude Wouldn't Help Alleviate Anyone from Poverty

The Philippines 60-40 Equity Scheme Doesn't Prohibit FDIs But It's Still VERY DISCOURAGING for International Business

The Irony the Philippines Starts the Christmas Season in September BUT Many Filipinos Love Last-Minute Christmas Shopping

If You Want to Make the Philippines Better, Study... HARDER?

Hussam Middle Eastern Restaurant: A Trip Into Authentic Syrian Cuisine At Ayala Center Cebu

The Philippines will NEVER Get Richer by Blaming Its Richer Asian Neighbors

Can Diehard 1987 Constitution Defenders Prove Their Claims to the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy?

My Experience With Delicious ITealicious' Filling in the Milk Tea Demand in Cebu City

It'd Be Stupid to Continue Using Obsolete Chinese Language Textbooks to Teach Mandarin Chinese

Red Lizard: Wrestling With Your Taste Buds With Delicious Mexican Food