How a Fitness App and Fitness Band Made Me Go from Sedentary to Active Lifestyle


Back in high school and after college, I had a sedentary lifestyle. I would play countless hours of video games and watch TV almost non-stop. Exercise tends to sound so complicated. Fortunately, it doesn't have to sound very complicated since exercise shouldn't always sound like being athletic. The moment I got a Xiaomi MiBand--I soon installed Google Fit aside from the official Xiaomi app (which gets really buggy) and the Notify for MiBand app. I started off rather fat in 2013 and I'm happy to say I've lost a lot of weight.

A fitness band would be used to count steps. At first, I aimed for 6,000 steps a day but I wanted to beat that record. 6,000 steps was my bare minimum. There were times when an exercise would barely give me the steps I wanted. I could do some cardio boxing, feel very tired, and still not get the steps I wanted. Fortunately, fitness devices can be used in workout mode. With my MiBand, one of the things I did was to set it up to workout mode. I could slowly use it to count calories. Another alternative was to use the Notify for MiBand app which I use to set a certain workout. Before that, I started off with the treadmill so I could develop endurance to take a long hike. I started out with one hour hikes and ended up having two-hour hikes. Of course, never forget to bring a bottle of clean water since one can get really exhausted.

Counting calories keeps me motivated. I could slowly examine the moves. The heartbeat range can go from relaxed, to light, to intensive, aerobic, anaerobic, and VO2 max (all-out intensity). It would make me see how many calories I'm burning. I could see that moderate exercise to heavy exercise can make me burn certain amounts. I could easily get satisfied when certain intensive activities can get rewarding. I feel very rewarded when burn 1,000 calories or even higher. It motivates me to do more exercise.

With Google Fit, it can help a busy person schedule an intensive exercise. Some people may need to sit in the office all day. Not everyone can workout every day. However, doing some moderate workouts in the morning (such as 30 minutes a day) or doing a long walk on Sundays can help. I tried doing a two hours long walk on Sundays and scored at least 150 or more points. Getting at least 150 heart points means at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise is done. An active person is bound to score higher though. 

It can be motivating to at least try and get a certain standard. Doing 30 minutes of moderate exercise per day, five days a week can be a good start. Meanwhile, doing some heavy exercises may actually help get the score faster. It would be important to note not to attempt heavy exercises immediately. It would be best to slowly develop the muscles. In my case, I started with simple walks, basic cardio, treadmills, and the like before going for HIIT and cardio boxing. 

It would be best to start now. Sure, some do have genetic obesity but exercise can keep it under control. Some people will lose weight more slowly. Some people will never get shredded or have a sexy body. The important thing isn't about image but about saving the heart from cholesterol plaques. I'm no to fat shaming but I'm also no to fat acceptance

Popular posts from this blog

The "Kahit Konting Awa" Attitude Wouldn't Help Alleviate Anyone from Poverty

The Philippines 60-40 Equity Scheme Doesn't Prohibit FDIs But It's Still VERY DISCOURAGING for International Business

The Irony the Philippines Starts the Christmas Season in September BUT Many Filipinos Love Last-Minute Christmas Shopping

If You Want to Make the Philippines Better, Study... HARDER?

Hussam Middle Eastern Restaurant: A Trip Into Authentic Syrian Cuisine At Ayala Center Cebu

The Philippines will NEVER Get Richer by Blaming Its Richer Asian Neighbors

Can Diehard 1987 Constitution Defenders Prove Their Claims to the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy?

My Experience With Delicious ITealicious' Filling in the Milk Tea Demand in Cebu City

It'd Be Stupid to Continue Using Obsolete Chinese Language Textbooks to Teach Mandarin Chinese

Red Lizard: Wrestling With Your Taste Buds With Delicious Mexican Food