#ThrowbackThursdays: PCs (and Internet) Went from Luxury to NECESSITY
It's #ThrowbackThursdays, and I thought about making another post. I remember the time in the 1990s when the PCs and the Internet were luxuries. Yes, several of them tend to drive the costs up, given the price of PCs and the Internet. They also had this inconvenience factor: using the Internet means I couldn't make a call, unlike today, with the use of the Digital Subscriber Line (DSL). Today, I can type this entry and make a phone call at the same time. The PCs were also inconvenient because, as far as I can remember, there was a tendency for hang-ups and brownouts in the 1990s Philippines, which were annoying inconveniences.
Technological development will always have its earlier stages. The product life cycle is often Introduction, Growth, Maturity, and Decline. That would explain why Windows had to continuously evolve. The technology would've been so new, meaning that even the production process may have been harder. A PC would've been more expensive because of the principle of economies of scale. If PC assembly lines were much slower, getting a PC was going to be much harder than getting the video game console that everyone in the classroom owns! It may have been easier to get a Nintendo, Sega, or Sony system faster than getting a PC. That makes the PC the ultimate flex unless that snobby kid had both.
I thought about the PC being something I wanted. Honestly, the typewriter was a real nightmare for anyone who wanted to make longer documents. It may be why schools were stuck with typing lessons using the typewriter. The teacher may have wanted to use PCs, as typewriters aren't exactly efficient and effective. Typewriters may still be useful for filling out blank forms as well as filling out checks. However, a PC still proves the winner when it comes to processing documents. For me, I seriously hated the typewriter due to how it slowed down my work.
I remember some old programs like Lotus (before Microsoft Excel) and WordPerfect (before Microsoft Word). I remember some now-obsolete programs like Flying Colors and EA Kids. Those made a child in the 1990s look cool. However, these programs ended up going away over time. One may remember how MS-DOS eventually got phased out by Microsoft.
What became a problem, even in the 1990s, were the stubborn boomers who just refused to make adjustments
A PC was a "luxury," and so was the Internet. For some boomers, the word Internet may have been associated with the time they had to quarrel with the child (or spouse) over phone usage. Dial-up Internet was extremely annoying. They might even think that DSL would just be "faster Internet," but they couldn't use the phone. They might think a new PC to replace the old one was just an additional cost, without thinking of basic economic factors like economies of scale.
It's easy for them to talk about the good old days or how they were achieving more than their children when they were at their children's age. For example, it was easier to get married in the 1980s in your 20s than it is in later times. They might talk too much about stuff like, "When I was your age, we had frequent brownouts, we didn't have a PC, we just used a typewriter, and we got better grades!" Such a statement ignores these fundamental truths, of which I can name a few:
- Such a mindset is the "friction equals virtue" fallacy. This is where one believes that if the task is more difficult or slow,
- Whether we want to admit it or not, frequent brownouts can become more and more of a nuisance in a fast-moving world. Writing one's essay for several hours while using as little paper as possible is better than writing one's essay for several hours and wasting an entire ream of paper.
- The written work they did back in their day wasn't as in-depth. Also, a typewriter becomes more wasteful when one actually starts using analysis to do even a simple research paper. A typewriter severely limits the quality of the written work in both quality and efficiency.
- School systems have to evolve, whether the stubborn boomer wants to admit it or not. After all, when boomers grew up (and they were born from 1946 up to 1964), there was often less information available. That meant their information was far more finite, centralized, and a curated commodity. In short, they had it easier academically. They could just write a short essay on the typewriter.

